Saturday, November 7, 2009

Small trimaran

A few years ago Ray designed a small trimaran to be sold as a kit using plywood. It was 3m long and met the international 3 metre rules. It was designed to carry one person and sailed well.




















Recently I started building a Scarab 350 trimaran, a small boat designed for two people (ideally one adult and one child). Before I was finished I had many comments on the look of the boat and thought this could be a popular small trimaran to teach kids how to sale. Originally it was built to use as a tender for my dream catamaran. There is a need for a small trimaran to sail in local clubs in this area (SE Queensland) to rival the beach cats. The water of the Great Sandy Traits is conducive to small boat racing and the competition is high. The clubs at Hervey Bay and Tin Can Bay could be great places to race small trimarans. It is not economically feastible to build these boats commerically as a one-off. Ray designed a new boat the same length but round bilge with a folding system similiar to the Scarab 16 http://www.teamscarab.com.au/scarab16/pictures.html. This boat will be built using moulds so we can speed production. The name of the new boat is uncertain;we will have to reach a compromise. The plugs which will be used to create the moulds are partially built.


1 comment:

SC-16-Fan said...

Hi Fran,

Greetings! I feature information about trailerable trimarans at smalltrimarans.com

I'd love to feature a post about the Scarab 350 that you've commented on here at your blog. Would you be able to share some specific info with me about this model?

You can reach me using my contact info at the site.

Many Thanks!
-- Small Tri Guy

Scarab 16 beams part 3

I painted the beams to match the rest of the boat using 2 pack epoxy primer and Jotun Imperite (Home Yellow). The aluminiu...