Thursday, October 31, 2019

Scarab 16 float part 2


The deck was made from laminated foam. The top layer of glass was cut using a diamond blade in a circular saw. This allows the foam to bend into a fair shape. Bog was applied in the cracks and once sanded glass was laminated over the deck. The edges were rounded off and taped to the side panel.
There was a problem how to bolt the beams to the floats and the easy way was by using inspection ports to allow access to the bolts. Because there was a bulkhead under the beam it would have required 2 ports for each beam. I didn’t want to have 4 ports on each float so I decided to use the float as a plug and make a split mould of the floats. Instead of the bulkhead there was two ring frames where the beams are attached.
Probably not one of my smarter decisions but it would allow me to build another boat with a lot less work. So, I could justify my decision.



No comments:

Scarab 16 beams part 3

I painted the beams to match the rest of the boat using 2 pack epoxy primer and Jotun Imperite (Home Yellow). The aluminiu...